Saturday, November 29, 2008

Good Luck, Mr. Brit

So, I'm watching the news tonight for a few minutes (I get most of my news on the Internet), and the anchor dangles a carrot. A story is coming about a guy who says he will live for a year without spending a dime. I was interested enough to check back often until the story was reported. It finally came.

It was about a man living in England, a Brit, who had some degree in economics. He was fed up enough with the financial crisis that he was going to show his displeasure with the way things are by checking out of the system for 12 months. You heard me... 12 months.

How would he do it? He would trade his talents and skills for food and other needed items. Instead of a vehicle he'd ride a bike with a small trailer attached to carry possessions. Pretty interesting, though nothing terribly new. This idea has been tried before. Check out of man-made society and into the perfectly created earth. I do wish him well. As a basicguy, a simpler life is very appealing.

However, his last comment was the one that really caught my attention. When asked about capitalism, his profound reply was, "Capitalism is flawed." Wow. Now that is something I'd never considered. Really? Flawed, huh? Well, duh. Of course its flawed! Every man-made financial system is flawed. Name any financial system that has ever existed, and flaws can be revealed. Why is that? It's simple. Financial systems are flawed because people are flawed.

So, Mr. Brit, I do wish you well in your personal rebellion against the way things are in our financial world. With all of its weaknesses, capitalism has the power and energy to resolve massive financial challenges. There has never been anything quite so effective in eradicating poverty and building extensive civilized infrastructures. But sadly it engenders greed and other debilitating characteristics. Yet, even though I'm just a basicguy, Mr. Brit, I can see the day when you get burned by some person who doesn't quite live up to an agreement you made for your services. I hope it doesn't come to that... but all man-made financial systems are flawed... because people are flawed. Good luck, Mr. Brit.

No comments: