Wednesday, January 7, 2009

America's Hope or Last Breath

I was a little surprised recently to find out that their are those in this country who believe that Western civilization as we know it is nearly on life-support (for example, see Pat Buchanan's "The Death of the West"). Since I'm a fully vested Western civilization person (actually a 4th generation Norwegian American), I must admit, the premise caught my eye. I kind of like our Western civilization. I know it has its flaws, but I'd take it over other offerings around the globe.

Now one of the main insights by those who warn us about our lifeless Western civilization, is population demographic numbers. I have to admit, the numbers are very disconcerting. However, there is one bright spot in the midst of all the gloomy news. That is Ben Steyn's "America Alone." According to Steyn's numbers, the United States still produces enough children per couple to replace our society. The news isn't so good for any of the other countries considered part of Western civilization. They are slowly dying.

Sadly, America isn't fairing all that much better, but at least we are still on the positive side of the ledger. Along with having fewer children, smaller families, what makes things worse for the propagation of American civilization is the 1,000,000 plus abortions that take place each year. If we continue on this path, America, the last gasping breath of Western civilization, will die and disappear into the fabric of some other social order.
Are we willing to listen to reason? If so,

First, let's keep America (indeed Western civilization) alive by holding fast to the ideas and institutions that have made this country free and great for over 200 years. That will be a challenge because there are people arguing for and promoting different ideas and institutions that contribute more to the demise of America than its life.

Second, let's get excited about family again. The traditional family is the best suited option for propagating our species and nation; the larger the family, the better. Now I do realize that there are some legitimate restraints for capping family sizes. Some can have more than others. But if we would all have as many as we are able to under our separate circumstances, America will live on and even get up from its bed of affliction.

Finally, we need a sane approach to abortion. There are way too many frivolous abortions in this country and throughout the world. There are those who say that most Americans support abortion (or a woman's right to choose). That's just nonsense. Fortunately, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops recently commissioned a study (which surveyed a cross section of American society) on the matter. Deirdre McQuade, assistant director of the study said:

"Four out of five American adults -- 82 percent -- think abortion should be either illegal under all circumstances or with limited legality, and only nine percent said that abortion should be legal for any reason at any time during pregnancy."

Well, there you have it. That's my take on saving Western civilization. Now, I know I'm only a basicguy, but being a father of five and a grandfather of four (# five is due any day now), I think I can speak from a position of knowledge and experience. My family loves our Western culture, and especially this great country we live in. I'd hope that all similar loving folk respond before America's last breath.

1 comment:

Paul W. West, Author said...

Great commentary. The only thing I'd argue with is your prioritizing. I'd put family as numero uno.