Sunday, February 1, 2009

Un-American or Un-God?

I was a little peeved last week when Tom Hanks accused the Mormons of being "un-American." I wanted to write something then, but held back because of some really good articles that hit the Internet the very next day. Of course, Mr. Hanks apologized... though it seemed a bit half-hearted.

Then Samuel L. Jackson came to the rescue. It seems that Mr. Hanks was wrong, the Mormons aren't "un-American," they're just "misinformed." Now that feels better doesn't it? What reasonable person can fault the Mormons for putting up a political fight in California on an issue that is central to their theology? By its very nature, their action is very much American as established by our Founders.

But what about being misinformed? Is it logical to think that all those married Mormons with larger than average families are misinformed about what should be established as traditional marriage? I suppose that in the eyes of non-traditional Hollywood, the Mormon position might appear to be "misinformed." If that's the case then so be it.

However, I wonder if the real issue isn't whether the Mormons are "un-American" or "misinformed," but rather that Hollywood is "un-God" or "spiritually ignorant." Now, I'm just a basicguy, but if I had to vote... I'd vote for the latter.

No comments: