Monday, May 24, 2010

Dreams "On the Side"

What a day to live in. Each day things seems to change right before your eyes. As a boy, growing up in the deserts of southern Nevada, I had my dreams. They fluctuated between playing in a rock band to being an international spy. But at some point, reality set in and I had to “do” something, not just dream it, in order to be a contributing member of society.

In time, I found myself as a teacher. I’ve taught for decades now, not just years. Was teaching ever a dream? No. But it has been a stable profession that has allowed me to marry and raise five children to adulthood. Have all my dreams been dashed upon the rocks of reality? I can honestly say, no.

I still have dreams… they’ve just morphed and changed over the years. I have been able to fulfill many of them “on the side” of real life. Some people experience some luck and fall into a situation where their “dream” and their “life’s work” are one in the same. For most of us, however, we mostly work out our dreams on the side. But that’s OK. Those who fulfill their dreams “on the side,” at least, are no burden on their neighbors.

That brings me to something that troubles me these days. There seem to be many who have no qualms about being a burden on their neighbors. In fact, they often declare that they are owed something. Life owes them, the government owes them, their parents owe them, something or everything. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Picking yourself up by your own boot-straps? Why does it seem like there are woefully fewer individuals who believe in the value of being self-reliant? And then I get really troubled when those who should no better promote such attitudes.

I was shocked recently when word hit the news about some comments Nancy Pelosi gave at a Washington event. She was defending the merits of the unmerited Obama Health-Care Bill. Note this insightful quote from her speech:

“We see it as an entrepreneurial bill, a bill that says to someone, if you want to be creative and be a musician or whatever, you can leave your work, focus on your talent, your skill, your passion, your aspirations because you will have health care. You don't have to be job-locked.”


Gosh, the government will save us. Where were they when I was dreaming about being in a rock band or employing skills as an international spy? I sure missed out didn’t I? Instead, I’m one of those guys who will foot the bill for those who can now escape being “job-locked” and feel free to forever explore their dreams. Why? Because they will no longer need a job to have health care.

Well, as far as I’m concerned, I feel much more useful and valuable to society as an active contributor… one who is self-sustaining and responsible… and still get to enjoy dreams “on the side.” To my own kids, and to the rising generation, I say, try it, you may like it… and yourself.

3 comments:

Paul W. West, Author said...

Great commentary. Thanks.

Kate said...

Wow dad, I totally agree. I can't believe she made that statement. Interesting read, thanks :)

BasicGuy said...

Hi Kate. I think that's the first time we've ever agreed. I'll get working on the next post to see if I can get lucky a second time. :)

Thanks for reading.