Saturday, December 27, 2008

All in the Family

Have you ever just wanted to be "one of the boys" or part of the crowd? Now, some crowds aren't worth being part of, but most of us have a need to belong, to be part of a group.We just want to fit in and be accepted for who we are. I guess it gives some feeling of worth. Yes, it would be nice if we were self-confident enough to not have such needs, but it seems that our lives have that much more meaning when we can share life with others... giving to... and taking from... others. (I wonder if this is one reason why a family is such a necessary part of society?)

Well, that appears to have been the case last night for one member of our family.

My wife and oldest daughter... well, my only daughter... were watching a Christmas movie last night. Well, it was a movie that had been given as a Christmas gift, that is. Anyway, as is their custom, they were all wrapped up in their blankets, very engaged in the film. Sadie, the family beagle, left her perch on a new Christmas pillow and tried to sneak under one of the blankets with the other women in the family. Apparently there wasn't room for her.

However, not to be dissuaded, Sadie ran into the office. You see, in the office we keep a nice blanket where she sleeps on cold winter nights. Smart dog. Sadie nudged her way under the blanket and then returned to the family room... blanket in tow, hooked on the brow of her head. Yes, Sadie got herself all wrapped up in her blanket, just like all the other ladies of the house. I suppose Sadie just wanted to be part of the family.

Now, I may have not even noticed this event if I hadn't recently seen "Marley and Me," a movie about a couple, a dog, and a growing family. Marley (a very rambunctious yellow lab) became as much a part of the family as anyone else. The Grogan family would not have been the same if it hadn't been for Marley. You could say the same for us.

As a New Year dawns upon us, and the troubles of life grow beyond measure, it will be tough to tread life's path alone. We're all going to need to belong to something or with someone. Maybe that something or someone can be a family. In most cases, it's hard to replace a family. So, like Sadie, get yourself a blanket, get all wrapped up in it, and join the others in the family room!

1 comment:

Paul W. West, Author said...

Cute. I can imagine Sadie doing that.

One issue I have however. You said, "Yes, it would be nice if we were self-confident enough to not have such needs..." I'm not so sure self-confident is what it takes to be a loner, more an introvert. God made us with a desire to be together, to work together, to gain salvation together. You can't make it alone. Those who try (loners) will fail.

I have to keep telling myself that as I tend to be one of those loners. But I love my family (and my extension your family), and that makes all the difference.