Sunday, December 30, 2007

All in the Family

The news was heart-wrenching. It was Christmas Eve when a daughter and her boyfriend visited her parents. Swept by anger into a frenzy, the misguided young woman and her beau, shoot her parents to death. After dragging the bodies into an outdoor shed, more family arrived for a holiday visit. Fearing being exposed for the murder of her parents, this murderous team leaps into action once more. by the time their dark work is finished, two young children and their parents are added to the mayhem. Aren't families great?

Some might wonder whether families are worth all the trouble after hearing stories like this one. For a Basicguy like me, it is all very hard to comprehend. All I can figure is that there must have been something far less than "basic" going on in this particular family... at least in the incomplete mind of this murderous young woman. It is all too sad, especially for a Christmas season.

Fortunately, there are basic families scattered all over the world--unsung and unnoticed by the media--where goodness, peace and joy reign. We had grandchildren visiting our home for Christmas. Not only did their eyes sparkle with the lights on the Christmas tree, but with the pure and exquisite joy of Christmas. You see, Santa did visit and once again did his magic. There was nothing particularly extraordinary or expensive about this Christmas. In fact it was a perfect display of all that is right about Basicguys and basic families. It was just simple joy enjoyed by a simple family that loves being together.

It was a traditional day, where there was as much joy over the Mountain Man breakfast and Orange Rolls as the gifts. To simply look into each face, adult and child, and see the warm glow of joy was enough for the day. Of course gifts are a rich part of Christmas and have been since wise men brought them to a Babe born in a manger in Bethlehem over 2,000 years ago. But it may be that the silent gifts of adoration brought to the manger by spiritually enwrapped shepherds, are the most lasting and enduring gifts that can be given.

Though I have had many associations throughout my life (at work, in the community, at church), I have found the richest ones as part of a family. It began with the family of my youth in Southern Nevada and now continues with the family of my adulthood. My wife, my children, their spouses, and their children have added to the enduring joy of family. From face to face, both young and older, the warm glow of joy keeps the simple gifts of Christmas alive for me and magnifies the manger in ways I never could have understood as a child.

Basically speaking, most joy in life comes in a family. The family is where it is at. From the Holy family all down through the ages to mine, family is where it is at. I can only hope that everyone is as lucky as I am. If you're not, take me at my word and set about making a family for yourself. I know I'm only a basicguy, but I believe that God intended for all of His children to have a family. I mean we came from one didn't we? How can we be considered God's children if we weren't part of a heavenly family? And so He designed that there would be families here. But life is not perfect. People make mistakes; some very serious mistakes. But that doesn't mean we can't break imperfect chains.

So, since a family is where it's at and the best things happen "all in the family," do your best to be part of one. Do your best to have your own. It's best to do so in God's way. He is the designer of the family... being the first Father that I know of. Doesn't it make sense to follow His lead? Basicguys tend to simply follow their God's perfect lead. Good luck making something "basic" out of your life... all in a family.

No comments: