Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Clearing Things Up a Bit

A couple of weeks ago I misplaced my glasses. I can read without them so I often take them off when dealing with things close to me. When I realized they were missing, I searched everywhere for them. I went to the restaurant where we ate that night. I went to the store we shopped at after dinner. I turned the house upside down and wracked my brain, all to no avail.

I finally had to admit that they were gone. So I turned to an old pair of glasses hidden in a drawer for safe keeping. Actually I keep them out of sight. They are rather large by today’s standard and remind me of “That 70’s show.” But what am I to do? I’m just a Basicguy.

I bravely pressed forward with my “better than nothing” glasses. Day after day I was reminded why they normally sat hidden in a drawer. Since they were also a much older prescription, it didn’t take long until I set up an appointment with my eye doctor. I found out it had been 4 ½ years since my last visit so it made double sense.

Each day I realized how difficult life is without clear vision. I failed to acknowledge a waving friend. Street lights were like a kaleidoscope while driving at night. But I could at least read.

Finally, one morning, my wife and I knelt to pray as is our custom. As I knelt at the foot of our bed, I leaned forward and glimpsed something caught between the footboard and mattress. It was my glasses. What joy; what surprise. It was a nice beginning to my day.

To a guy like me, the meaning was obvious. There is a connection between prayer and glasses. Basically speaking, prayer can clear up a lot of things in life. You just seem to see things better when you pray. So when darkness tends to blur things in your life, or friends or other associates seem oddly distanced from you, pray, and see if things don’t clear up a bit.

2 comments:

Paul W. West, Author said...

Hey! I like it. Great story of faith and prayer.

Thanks for sharing.

BasicGuy said...

You're welcome. I have found that its often the little things in life that have the most meaning. Unfortunately, they are also the things we tend to overlook.